Friday, May 3, 2013

Blistering heat and Blistering Feet

A smile and wave from Julian, CA!

The PCT adventure has begun and with 4 days and 78 miles behind us, Mark and I took a much needed "zero" (referring to the number of miles we hiked) day in our first resupply stop - Julian. After delicious (and free for PCT hikers!) lunch at Mom's Pies (www.momspiesjulian.com) we hit the local grocery store, stocking up on Amy's mac'n'cheese, Wheat Thins, and peanut butter and jelly supplies - some of our staple trail meals.

At the southern terminus in my infamous dress and heels
Our past few days started at the border and the Southern Terminus and continued on through the beautiful Anza Borrego desert from the pine covered higher mountains to the hot and dry sandy stretches - temperatures peaking at 95 degrees F. After the first 21 mile day, I wrote in my notebook that I "have never been more physically or mentally exhausted," and that pattern seemed to continue. Unfortunately, problem after problem hit us (and me in particular) - involving dehydration, knee and hip pain, sunburn and blisters.
 
 

My brave man caught me a Gopher snake


A view of what we were hiking down

Most noteworthy are my lovely blister covered feet, remedied only with Duct Tape, Bandaids and will power. After a shaky diagnosis (they could be caused by a number of things), we decided it was best to order new shoes and pray to the hiker Gods that my feet like them better than my current lightweight Merrell trail shoes (that apparently are short of breath). There is an ongoing debate over whether good ole running shoes are better than the fancy hiking boots (no company makes shoes designed for super long distance hiking), so I am trying my luck and just purchased a pair of Women's XR Mission Running Shoes.

 
In other news, our ultralight kitchen set up is working flawlessly, I had my first night of "cowboy camping" under the stars, and we saw our first (and probably not our last) rattler - yay SoCal! Also, Mark lost his sunglasses, and has had no serious issues with his feet or body... yet. We just got news that a fellow hiker picked up his sunglasses 10 miles back and left them by the "if found please return in exchange for a beer" sign we left at the trail head. True hiker spirit.

Off to go hitch a ride to the trail! Chat with all of you in Idyllwild!

Next Stop:
Idyllwild, CA

Wanna write/mail us things? We would love that!
Send ahead to: (allow 5 days shipping)
Amanda Catlett or Mark Lehrbass
C/O General Delivery P.O.
Idyllwild, CA  92549

Or send further to: (allow 10ish days shipping)
Amanda Catlett or Mark Lehrbass
C/O General Delivery P.O.
Big Bear City, CA  92314

5 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda, can you enable an email subscription button on the blog so I can subscribe to it and it will email updates me once you post new updates? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim! Alright, I messed with some settings and I think I added the correct link for an e-mail subscription. Lemme know if it works for you, and if not I will try something else! Great hearing from you on a regular basis, by the way! And happy almost graduation to you and Jackie!! Wish we could be there, but you guys are very much in our thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Its good to hear from you two. I was starting to worry. I was called out for the fire we had so I haven't been able to comment. Is there anything you guys specfically need? Let me know, if not I will just send something out. I hope the new shoes will help you out Amanda. You have been really tough hiking through the blisters. Keep it up. Miss you lots. Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danny! All is well here, for the most part. I'll post a wish list of goodies we would like, but for the most part, food and homemade goddies are a very much appreciated!! Miss and love you tons!

      Delete